Thursday, June 3, 2010

Changes.


I am realizing some of the ideas people have about themselves, and about each other. This place is so different from any other place I've lived, yet I am doing it. I am living in Costa Rica with no major struggles other than homesickness. People are more resilient than they think. I am in a house with no air conditioning, no dishwasher, and no dryer (we hang the clothes on a line). My shower shoots water at the level of my head and cannot move down, so I stand on my tippie-toes to wash my hair. The water is only one temperature--cool. I have figured out to take showers when it is very hot, otherwise it is one cold shower. But despite these things, I am doing fine! I adjust and go on. Just like everyone else. There have been earthquakes about once a week, and although I was scared, I am still here.. It is human nature to adapt to the environment and it is cool being able to see myself do just that. There are many stray dogs, and although I am an animal lover, I have to control myself, considering some are not so friendly. I am the minority. I enjoy going to the market alone, but each time I do I have to re-teach myself to not feel intimidated and to instead, look at people and smile.
I am having my personal bubble popped more and more each day. People here do not have the American arms-length space implied rule and so when I say hello, a person may lean towards me to smile or say hello. My instinct is to back away, but I am trying to fight it! People also walk closer together, sometimes I think I'm going to be side-swiped by another pedestrian or car just because space is not the same. My host-sister Maria Pia, took an immediate interest in me when I came and will come into my room and sit on my bed with me any time she feels, which I very much like now :) Just last night I was skyping with my Mom as she laid on my lap and I brushed her hair, and I can hardly even speak the same language! To be honest, I am glad my bubble is being broken. My walls of protection are coming down. I am learning to look people IN THE EYE as I walk by them, and I am learning to be aware of my surroundings, which honestly is one of my struggles at home. I want to notice the details as I walk by them. I want to notice the people too. I want to notice that the neighbor is painting his overhang a pretty green color instead of blindly walking by. I think you get my point!
I can remember an American girl at the airport who had a surprising awakening.. A woman leader of the group came up to her and greeted her with a kiss on the cheek. This girl was clearly not used to it and with a look of shock, remarked to me, "I am going to have to get used to this new level of intimacy!" That made me laugh but then the same thing happened to me and I tried to not be surprised. My Great-Grandmother used to kiss me, but that is very different than meeting someone for the first time..
Anyway, my point is I am grateful to have this experience. I knew I wanted to go somewhere where I would be uncomfortable. I wanted a new point of view. Who wants to be comfortable for the rest of their lives?!

1 comment:

  1. glad that you're enjoying the new culture and the new experiences! it's so good to get knocked out of your norm sometimes, and to be reminded how to stay flexible. ...i KINDA wish that we were more into kissing for greetings in the midwest, but whatever. i can go elsewhere for that, i suppose.

    jealous of you and your beach and the stray dogs (...SO hard to see for animal lovers, but i think it's good to learn how to deal with also) and your new adventure. love you!

    ReplyDelete