Wednesday, June 16, 2010

pink, blue and white




Last weekend I traveled by ferry and taxi to a place called Santa Teresa. The ferry ride took about an hour and the remaining hour was by taxi. I have never been on rougher roads. Taxis are SUVs that are constantly dodging large pot holes on the dirt path. At many points we would be on the wrong side of the road for some time just to avoid the bumps, which was literally impossible all together. I was amazed. At one point we barely dodged a hole in the earth that if we had hit, would have stopped us in our tracks. It was fun though, I felt like I was off-roading, but on a path. Costa Rica screams green from every angle, especially in these kind of locations. Just looking out the window at the small mountains and cattle grazing made me happy.
Once we arrived, we immediately checked out the beach. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I felt like a little kid again, who just saw a water park for the first time. The sand was white, and the sun was setting to make a brilliant pink against the blue ocean and shore. I immediately ran into the water. Clothes on and all, I let the waves hit my body and make me feel alive. I must have looked like an idiot skipping around on the pink shore, but I didn't care. I felt like I was in a place where Heaven could meet Earth. I should point out here that I am normally a mountain type of girl, but I have never seen a prettier place. Unfortunately I did not get any pictures, but that's what happens in those kind of situations I guess!
The town of Santa Teresa was quaint, and had about everything to offer a person. The second night I was there, we decided to go to a local Latin American dance night. I was thoroughly amused by a mid 50 year old man who pulled me out of my seat and tried to teach me anything BUT normal salsa or merengue. We probably looked like we were doing some kind of rain dance instead! But he was harmless and quite amusing if anything.
On a different note I have great news--I found peanut butter! Oh yes, I thoroughly enjoyed a pb and j today.. I am finally getting more comfortable with walking down the streets. People here are generally nice and simply like to say "hello" or "good day." So, I am not walking with fear so much and feel at ease meeting people's eyes. Today I even found myself using a smart tone with a local man when he got on my nerves.. probably shouldn't do that too often. I like the locals though. I have a "Tico" friend here who is learning English and he and his friends are some of the nicest, most respectful people I've ever met!
More good news, I will hopefully be visiting the coffee plantation this weekend-only about 2 weeks left! The picture from the ferry of the strip of land is Puntarenas.
Buenos noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment